Monday, February 18, 2013

Hyogo Goodwill Envoy News, Jan/Feb 2013, part one


Hi everyone, it’s been a while hasn’t it?  Korean CIR, Kim here, wishing you all a belated Happy New Year! (I thought it might be worth a mention that in Korea, where we celebrate the older Chinese New Year and the Gregorian one, we say “Happy New Year” twice a year.)

I used the Japanese end of year holiday period to go back to Korea and lo and behold, came back a year older.  I can imagine that there are plenty of you out there wondering how on earth this could happen so I’ll explain a little bit better.  In Korea, everyone gets one year older on January first every year.  Of course Koreans also celebrate their actual birthdays as well, but these are just parties with no other meaning; the day everyone grows older is January 1st.  People born on New Year’s Eve, like everyone else, get a year older on January 1st, the day after their actual birthday.  What has made me really happy is that while I’ve been living in Japan, I’ve been younger than if I was in Korea, which really makes me feel like I’ve gained something!

Even when I returned to the supposedly warmer Kobe from the -14 degree temperatures of Seoul, I had grown used to Korean style under-floor heating or Ondol, so every day is a battle against the cold.  Tired out, both mentally and physically from this battle, I went on a trip to an onsen (hot springs) as a present to myself.  Out of all the hot spring resorts located in Hyogo Prefecture, this time I chose Yumura Onsen.


 

Heading North on the Hamakaze!

From Sannomiya station in Kobe, I boarded the limited express train, Hamakaze and after a journey of around 3 hours, arrived at the station closest to Yumura Onsen, Hamasaka.  This train stops at Kinosaki Onsen and Kasumi, two stops famed for their hot springs and crab on the way to its final destination of Hamasaka.  As such, in winter it’s bustling with visitors from Hyogo and beyond with hot springs and crab on their mind.  Some may think that a traveling time of 3 hours is a little too much, but if you head out with good company and spend the time chatting at your leisure, the time will go by in a flash.


On the way to Yumura, this Matsuba crab waved a friendly claw from the platform of Kasumi station.

Hamasaka e yo-kinsatta!! or “Welcome to Hamasaka” in the local dialect.
From Hamasaka station, you can get to Yumura Onsen by bus or taxi.  I arrived on a Sunday, when there were only a few buses running, and went by taxi rather than wait. It was far, far more refined than I expected.  Feeling very excited I headed inside and was shown to a lobby with a view of a stylish garden. I ate tochimochi cake and drank green tea while waiting for the serving lady.

tochimochi and green tea, yummy!

After taking a short break in my room, I almost wanted to just stay chilling out right there, but seeing as I’d come all that way I got myself together and set out to the hot springs street.  First of all, I stopped off at Arayu, the symbol of Yuruma Onsen and boiled an egg from a nearby shop in the hot spring water.  I recommend having a walk around the area while you wait for your egg to boil.
Arayu, the symbol of Yumura Onsen

Let`s boil the eggs!

You can also enjoy the footbath, Ashiyu
I finished my walk and after enjoying my boiled egg snack, went back to my room to await the crab dinner I’d been looking forward to so much.

Wow! This crab is ex-shell-ent!

I’m really sorry to any hungry people out there!
It’s pretty much photos of different crab dishes from here on.
The course comprised seven kinds of starters made from crab, Matsuba crab from Hamasaka bay, complete with tag of authenticity, and then finally crab sashimi.  The whole course is crab, but with each different method of preparation comes different flavors so you’ll be able to enjoy it right to the end.






After this came crab miso soup and crab porridge; the crab dishes just kept on coming. But I can’t keep subjecting you hungry people to all these pictures of delicious food any longer so I’ll leave it there.  

Being pretty clumsy, I had a hard time scooping out all the crab from the shell, but to let me forget about that, let me just say the crab was tender, juicy and delicious.  I was perfectly content and full up!

This time, the weather wasn’t snow but rain, meaning that my dream of going in the outdoor hot spring in the snow did not come true.  However, on the way home the next day, I saw some really pretty snow covered scenery from the window of the Hamakaze so overall it was a lucky end to my trip.

Northern Hyogo is the perfect place to enjoy winter crab and the romantic atmosphere of hot springs.  I hope you all get to go there!




 

Hyogo Event Information
Kasumi Crab Thanksgiving Festival
Regional specialties, such as Matsuba crab and other seafood goods.
Fun games, competitions and much more!

Date: Sunday, March 3rd 8:30-12:00
Place: Shibayama Port (911-8, Okinoura, Kasumi-ku, Kami-Town)
Enquiries: 0796-37-0301

Hachi Kita Ski Festival 2013This event, held during the second half of the ski season can be enjoyed by families and groups as a chance to enjoy the winter snow.  At the main event, “Hachikita white tower” visitors can compete for lavish prizes such as LCD T.Vs in a competition to stack softball-sized snowballs as high as possible.  Firework displays
the night before create a fantastic atmosphere in the clear winter sky, contrasted against the white snow.





Place: Hachikita Highlands Ski Slopes
Enquiries: 0796-96-0732 (Hachikita tourism association)

No comments:

Post a Comment